Love Notions Sybil Skirt

When I decided to do the Module Sewalong, I knew the two bottom pieces would be tricky. Pants are my nemesis, both making and buying. So I knew I didn't want to attempt making two pairs. And I have lots of skirts. Striped skirts, woven skirts, high low skirts. Lots to choose from. Shockingly though, not one black pencil skirt in the bunch.  Several years back I had a black skirt I'd bought at a department store that served the purpose. I never liked it because it was very rectangular and hit at a weird spot. But it technically fit and I wore it until it was starting to look shabby and tossed it out. I work in a business casual environment unless we have clients coming to the office or we're visiting clients. Then I very much need a black skirt. Preferably one that will travel well (you'll see this theme a lot in my daily clothes!).

I found this lovely black Ponte knit from fabric.com

I know, a black square on your screen. But I really got lucky with this one as it's a very soft, drapey, firm Ponte knit. I should go back and buy more just to have on hand, it's that good.

I decided to make the Sybil skirt from LoveNotions Patterns. Primarily because I already owned the pattern, but also because their patterns seem to fit my body type well.

As you can see, there are actually a lot of skirt options with this pattern, but the pencil skirt was the most practical (although I have a gored skirt pattern pieced and ready to cut out soon) I chose the knee length as I don't care how mid length skirts look on me.

Yeah, the skirt is not navy (although I wouldn't mind one in navy!) I made the mistake of taking the photo at night and my office doesn't have the best lighting for photography at night. All in all, the skirt turned out exactly as I wanted and it is the perfect addition to my wardrobe. I did not do the power netting to slim my stomach as I typically only wear shirts that cover my  I've-had-four-cesareans stomach and no amount of power netting is going to make you think my stomach isn't my problem area. This was an easy sew and I think I had it done in under 2 hours. As I mentioned above, I already have my next skirt planned for a khaki color gored skirt.



Comments

Popular Posts