Love Notions Rhapsody Blouse

Do you ever have "ah ha" moments when sewing?!  Let's talk about my moment today.

I bought this amazing rayon woven crepe from La Finch Fabrics It is SO soft and flowy and the colors are that amazing pop that I love without being overpowering:

For whatever reason, I was thinking this fabric would have more body to it (apparently this is a problem for me since I had the same issue with the fabric I chose for Butterick 6632 that didn't end up getting made). But there was no way this fabric wasn't going to be made up for the sewalong. Again, my goal was to pull patterns from my stash and I decided that since I've had success with the Love Notions patterns, that I would try the Rhapsody blouse, which called for drapey fabrics

I've noticed that in RTW, I'm really drawn to shirts like this so I had picked up the pattern in the fall when there was an anniversary sale. I liked it because there was more than just one option on the sleeves which really changes up the look of what you can create. And while I'm not normally a long sleeved girl, one or two for the winter would be ok.

When I'm sewing a pattern I've never sewn before, I try to stop and read through all the directions first. My hope is that if there's something tricky or a step I'm not anticipating, I'll catch it before I've done something wrong.

And this is where my "ah ha" moment comes in. This pattern specifically mentions that it's drafted for people 5'5". Which I am not. In fact, depending on who is doing the measuring, I'm somewhere between 5'8 and 5'9. And it said you needed to add 1/2" for each inch you are over the 5'5" mark (or decrease if you're shorter, which is good for when I sew for my daughter). I was easily able to add the 1.5 inches at the waistline (I'm one of those oddly proportionate people who has a long back and long legs). And this blouse turned out BEAUTIFUL.  In fact it's safe to say this is the best blouse I've ever sewn!!!
Please excuse the wrinkles, I had to roll it up to do the back yolk piece and I hadn't steamed it or hemmed it yet. But the fit.  THE FIT! So, so, SEW good. I used the full bust option and there is no weird draglines. I was even able to put in the suggested hem (usually this is where I pull a little extra length from). I want to go out and make four more of these tops. But I shall refrain for now since I still need to finish my topper and start the muslin for my pants.  But I'm super happy with this blouse!

Comments

Popular Posts