Blogging

 "tap, tap, tap"  Hello!  Let's do a quick life catch up, shall we?

2021 - Back to blogging (for 1 entire post) after a sewing hiatus

2022 - first grandchild born.  Lots of sewing, no blogging

2023 - my oldest son got married, followed by the passing of mother, followed by my second son getting married. Lots of sewing, no blogging

2024 - Lots and lots of sewing.  More life.  No blogging...until today!

With social media so prevalent, I don't think blogging is much of a 'thing' anymore. And that's ok.  But I like writing about my makes, so I'm still going to post from time to time.


What have I made in 2024?

If you follow me on Instagram @MrsMike there is a small assortment of things made this year. My goal for 2024 was to start sewing up patterns I own that have been sitting in my stash (ThreadLoop says I have 394 PDF patterns in my collection...there are paper patterns, as well as Ottobre and Burda sewing magazines, but I haven't had a chance to add them yet...)  On that note, here's a list of things I've made so far:

  • McCalls 8158 - seriously, pay attention to the finished measurements on this pattern.  The finished bust line has 19 inches of ease.  19!!!  I get this is a more boho/peasant style top, but 19 inches is WAY too much. I ended up cutting four sizes smaller and it's still nice and roomy
  • McCalls 8240 - two Big Four's in a row, who am I?! This one fit much truer to size and I only made my standard 1" increase in the torso because I'm 5'9" and these patterns are drafted for 5'7" I believe.
  • Seamwork Vicky - continuing on the winter trend for Houston, I made this lovely sweater out of some sweater knit I've had in my stash for at least 10 years. I will definitely add this to my TNT pattern collection for winter (we have very little cold weather in Houston as a rule!) clothing. I'm a huge Seamwork fan since they draft for 5'9".  Actually, I feel like my body shape could be there 12-30 block double most days.
  • Sinclair Selma - this pattern was not in my stash, but I was absolutely influence by Karina on YouTube and had to not only buy this pattern, but make it up the same weekend. 
  • McCalls 7116 - before January, I hadn't sewn a Big Four pattern in at least two years.  But I bought this little gem in 2015 and it was just calling my name.  I used a lovely batik that was a fall addition to my fabric collection, so it's almost a double win.  I was amazed at how well this one fits on my 40+ year old body. 
  • LoveNotions Ballard (please note, the website is undergoing maintenance as I'm writing this, and I'm not linking to the actual pattern) - my first repeat pattern of the year is a fabulous Ballard blouse I made for work. I had to go in on Valentine's Day, and decided to use up some lovely shirting cotton I got from Style Maker Fabrics
  • Wardrobe By Me Tropicana - I found some Aristocat fabric at Hobby Lobby and knew my daughter needed a shirt made from it for her first day of work at her new job.  Yes, she's 26, and absolutely still loves her favorite childhood movie. She works in behavior therapy with kids all day, so can wear fun prints.
  • Pattern Emporium Endless Summer Tee - this one was a true sleeper in my collection! I wasn't fond of the artwork on the cover. I suspect I got it on sale when I bought another pattern. But when I saw this fabric 
    I knew not only did I have to have it, but I needed something feminine and elevated I could wear to work. The double flounce sleeve on this t-shirt make all the difference in the world.  In addition, I made this pattern two more times, once for my daughter, and once for my daughter-in-law.  So clearly this pattern has now moved into the TNT group!


  • Style Arc Trinnie w/Extension - I bought this pattern when it released, but then they added an extension packet, so I bought that as well during a sale. I used this for my Easter dress for church this year and it was exactly what I wanted. This worked well for work as well
  • Tiana's Closet Basalie - I feel like this pattern went viral this spring for SewFrugal2024.  If you're not familiar with the challenge, you can only use free patterns.  Tiana's Closet has a ton of free patterns, but this is the first time I used one.  I have several still on my sewing calendar that I'd like to make for fall.
At this point, Instagram goes barren for me.  I made a couple of more things for my vacation in June, but then one of my kids had an accident at work, Hurricane Beryl knocked out our power for almost two weeks, and my husband had shoulder surgery.  I did make a Style Arc Livvy dress.  The pattern was a bit of a challenge, but the dress is fabulous and is going with me on my cruise next February. I also made a Sinclair Isla which was a nice, lightweight top for our very hot August. Currently on my cutting table I have a Pattern Emporium Downtown Jacket that I'm making for the precious fabrics challenge, a Seamwork Otto vest, and I'd like to get a fall dress in. This time of year can be challenging for me to sew, since I work in benefit administration, but I'm determined to get a couple of more things done before the end of summer!




Comments

Popular Posts