2021 Spring Sewing Inspiration

 

Last year I really wanted to do a capsule wardrobe.  I had patterns.  I bought fabric.  And I sewed up 3 of my 9 items. But fall is my busiest time of year at work, and sadly, that was as far as it got.  I LOVE the pieces I sewed, and I plan to blog about them now that work is a little calmer, but as always, I'm dreaming about the next things I'd like to sew up.  So as much as I think a spring capsule would be fun, I've decided to choose four items inspired by RTW that I'd like to add to my wardrobe this spring.  Four items are definitely doable time wise but allows me to add other things to the sewing queue as I get inspired by a new pattern or fabric. So in no particular order, here is what I'd like to get sewn up:

  1. These linen-twill pants I found on Port - A - Net are super cute and CRAZY expensive. I could never justify $800 for a pair of pants, even if I had the money (and I definitely do not!)  But when I saw them, they reminded me of the Love Notions Summer Caye pants.  I made a pair last summer in a drapey rayon and really liked them.  They don't have what appears to be a seam running down the front, but that's something I can live without. I already have the pattern cut and fit issues worked out, so this is a pair I could get sewn up quickly. Once the fabric arrives.  I found some nice rayon twill (I want to keep them flowy) on La Finch Fabrics, so these pants will get made and will transition nicely into summer.
  2. Who doesn't love a good vintage-styled blouse?! I know a lot of people are still working at home exclusively, but I've gone back to the office two days a week (which I desperately needed to do for better work/home life balance!) and I really like feminine styled clothing. This Helen Blouse on Etsy isn't a bad price at $55, but the sizing isn't even close for me.  Seamwork has the Violet, a Colette pattern, and it's almost an exact duplicate.  The detail work on the front shoulders isn't a feature that I'm interested in, so this pattern works great for me.  I will have to do a muslin because while I've sewn plenty of Seamwork patterns, I haven't sewn any in the Colette line, and I want the fitting to be correct.  And I need to decide between a print or a solid on the final (or two blouses wouldn't be the end of the world...)  Stylemaker Fabrics has some things I'm drooling over at the moment!
  3. The 3/4 Peasant top is exactly my everyday style. I can wear it for zoom meetings or to the office and still feel professional. The price isn't bad at all at $34.90, and I've bought plus size shirts before from Maurice without issue, but the color.  UGH.  Dusty pink.  Talk about a clash with my auburn hair and pink undertoned skin.  But this blouse is identical to one of the options on the Rhapsody by Love Notions, a blouse I've sewn up several times now and absolutely adore. I'm thinking a flowy rayon crepe or challis.
  4. I think this Shall We Dance dress from One Loved Babe is very cute and different from other dresses I have in my wardrobe (at last count there were 45 dresses just for summer...) Style Arcs Nova Midi dress is sleeveless but still similar.  It's missing the button up feature on the bodice, but I'm thinking about a faux placket feature that would work. I think the inspiration dress has a knit fabric bodice, but I think this dress could easily be made up in a cotton double gauze. There are a couple of other patterns I saw on Pinterest that would give me a sleeve option, but I already own the Nova Midi, and my goal is to use more patterns from my collection this year.  
What do you think?  I've really been inspired by blue fabrics lately, so I think this collection will be made up of blue and white toned fabrics. On that note, I'm off to go cut out a new dress!



Comments

Popular Posts