A Christmas Dress

If you follow me on Instagram, you probably already saw this dress. Despite the fact that I already had a lovely cranberry knit dress that I could wear for Christmas Eve service, I really wanted a green one.  It's been my go to color for the last month or so and I really wanted one more garment in this color.  The fabric is a lovely emerald challis from Fabric.com and I chose McCall's 7973


From the web site, the pattern is described as "Loose fitting dress with elasticized waist and sleeves, waist ties and sleeve variations"

I made view B, which the model is wearing. I had considered view D as well, I really like a long dress, but ultimately went with View B. I'm glad I did because this fabric wrinkles SO easily and I think I would have looked like I just rolled out of bed with anything longer. 

The instructions have you purchase cording for the ties, which I did, but I didn't like it after I put it in (too bulky!) and was going to omit it. The problem with that is that the dress then flops open and the facings don't stay tucked in. So I had to go back to Hobby Lobby to pick up some ribbon.  The ribbon looks kelly green in my photo, compared to the emerald green of the dress, but in person, it was a much closer match. I wish I'd had enough fabric left to do self-ties, which does not come with the pattern, but I used every last inch of this fabric without any to spare so I had to make do with the ribbon. I'm very happy with how the dress turned out.  It ended up being a warm-ish afternoon (72 when we left for church!) and this dress was light and comfortable. Since Houston is rarely cold for winter, this will be perfect even after the Christmas season. 

Comments

Popular Posts