Me Made May 2021 - week 1

 Me Made May.  I first learned of this phenom last year when I was doing my quarantine sewing. I was really just getting back into sewing after a 10-year hiatus and I really enjoyed seeing all the things sewists around the world have made. And that's the part I really enjoy- is that sewing is beautifully and culturally diverse. And seeing how others interpret patterns, styles, and color make my heart happy. 

I am participating on Instagram @sewearley and I thought maybe a weekly recap here would work better. I'm doing things a little differently on IG by posting "me" in the photos instead of on the mannequin.  So be ready for lots of bathroom selfies and funny expressions while I hold the camera to get the right angle...Ready for week 1?

Day 1 - my new Seamwork Cal pj's!  I haven't shared them here yet, so I should get that review completed. I had some lovely jersey knit in my stash that I wasn't sure what to do with (yes, I buy fabric sometimes just because I love it!)  I have a girl's trip with my two BFF's coming up at the end of the month and I really needed some decent pj's.  They're not perfect, and I'll share more of that in my review (totally my fault!) but they're pj's.  I'm going to sleep in them, not go to an awards show. I can live with the mess up since they're so comfortable!

Day 2 - my LoveNotions Willow Wrap dress.  I made this for Easter last year, but of course, we didn't actually get to go to church.  The photo doesn't do this dress justice, it's a beautiful true blue (but looks navy blue in the photos!)


Yeah, bathroom selfies are not my favorite!  Particularly when I want to show off the full dress. But my cameraman was getting ready for church and I knew if I didn't grab the photo "then" it wouldn't get taken.  Or it would be at the end of the day when I could care less about touching up my hair and makeup. 

The fabric is a DBP that I most likely got from FabricMart last year.  This dress style is SO flattering. I could sew up a dozen of them. But I feel like the style is very specific and people might think I only know how to sew (or buy if you somehow don't know I sew!) one type of dress.  And since I own 70+ dresses without a repeat in the bunch, that certainly isn't the case!!

Day 3 - It used to be that going to work in Business Casual style meant jeans on Friday only. I finally got permission to go to the office 1-2 days a week (we are still working from home primarily until 2022) and there are maybe 5 people in the office at the same time, NO ONE cares what we wear unless it's truly inappropriate. So it feels super weird to post a bathroom selfie (you were warned) of a casual top and jeans on a Monday. This is the Seamwork Loretta top and I really like this one. So much so that I made a second one in a lovely red bubble crepe. I have no idea where I picked up this cotton railroad striped denim, but it's lightweight and made for a lovely blouse. 

Day 4 - May the 4th be with you!! I have a house full of men (a husband and three sons!) so I'm well versed in all things Star Wars. So a little epic fail here, I didn't get a photo of "me" up on IG this day, although I did wear my new Style Arc Clementine blouse that I made last month. That I love, love, LOVE. But my husband and I met up with some friends for dinner and before I knew it the day was gone. My attempt at a nighttime photo by my car just didn't work. I wore this with white linen pants and I got compliments from total strangers, so definitely a win!

Day 5- Cinco de Mayo! Sadly, I'm way too wrapped up in work to plan anything fun right now, although I did make some amazing enchiladas and homemade salsa for dinner! But I did wear my lovely
Love Notions Cadence dress yesterday that I blogged about last year here. This is still one of my favorite rayon prints ever. And look, an office selfie, complete with a desk that has too much work piled up on it.... 

And look, my hair is not pulled back!

Day 6 - Thursdays are my busiest day of the week work wise and typically I'm in yoga pants and whatever t-shirt is clean since I don't have any zoom meetings (most of my wardrobe must be zoom appropriate from the waist up!)  But today I decided to wear my ultra comfortable caftan dress I made from Simplicity 9102.  I posted the photo with the knee length version on this post and I liked this dress so much, I decided to make the maxi length. The fabric is another rayon challis from La Finch Fabrics. I used a cotton/linen blend print for the facing and cuffs and I really like the contrast. This dress was SO long when I made it (that never happens to me) that I washed it on warm and dried it on hot after I finished it to get it to shrink a smidge.  So double bonus, I never have to line dry this dress!





Comments

Popular Posts