Work From Home Wear

My work recently announced we'll be working from home for the rest of the year. My wardrobe has been business casual for over 10 years, but not really lounge from hone casusal. I have weekly sky calls with clients and my team so I find myself needing to blend comfortably with business casual. 



I've seen a lot of caftan sewing...and I didn't think it was something I'd ever do.  I'm not really a lounge at home type of person. But with all the Covid nonsense, I'm in need of a more casual wardrobe. I picked up Simplicity 9102 when Simplicity patterns were a $1.99 at Hobby Lobby a few weeks ago.   Vogue  has several to choose from, including 1627 and 9253.  9253 in particular has had some lovely makes and is next to impossible to find in pattern stores. But while lovely, I can not have a down to there neckline for business video calls! So this Simplicity pattern really appealed to me. 

This dolman sleeved, empire waist caftan checks so many boxes for me. For hot Texas summer days, the long sleeved version was not really something I wanted. But the short sleeved version seemed ideal. 

When I initially decided to make this dress, I thought I wanted the knee length dress.  I wasn't sure if the extra fabric would be as comfortable as I wanted.  But as I was laying out my pattern pieces, I quickly realized that what I really wanted was a traditional caftan.  I tried to get every last inch needed to do the full length, but it was clear I just didn't have enough fabric. I decided to cut it out anyway. I figured that at the very least, maybe I'd end up with a wearable muslin (side note, I almost never muslin - I don't have the patience and the fabric seems like a waste!).

I'm happy to say it's not a wearable muslin at all but a dress that I am happy to wear exactly as it is.  I haven't done anything with buttonholes in a long time. It's not that I can't do them.  Until a year ago, I'd been on a sewing hiatus for 10 years.  I had a lovely remnant of this Pippa Gray Emblem Challis from LA Finch Fabrics that is a great weight for this caftan. Not too light where it's difficult to sew, but still feels plenty light enough to wear. 

I was very pleased with how well drafted this pattern is. I particularly liked that there are no awkward facings to flop out. The button placket is interfaced (I've come across a few lately that are not - why?!  all that work just to have the buttonholes stretch out or the buttons tear out the fabric?  No thanks!) It's a caftan, so it's supposed to be flowing, but I felt that it has the perfect amount of ease.





Here's a close up of the bodice.  The placket pieces are the exact same length, despite what it appears like in the photo. The two buttons are high enough for modesty, but leave the neckline open and airy.  The empire waistline is slightly gathered so it doesn't have any unnecessary bulk or make you look pregnant. A huge bonus for me!

I definitely have plans to make another one, this one a true maxi length. This dress is amazingly comfortable even during this hot Texas summer weather. I'd really like to try one in double gauze or one in linen. One of each would be nice too! 


Comments

Popular Posts