Seamwork Oliver Top

I work in an office that is business casual. I struggle with the casual part. Call me old school, I can't wear a t-shirt to the office and I don't like polo shirts. Thank goodness I sew!!

If I'm not working from home on Friday, it is the ultimate casual day at the office. Jeans, sneakers, hoodies. Very laid back.  So in addition to needing a few simple tops for a Friday, I also need some more weekend wear.  This is that perfect top.  It has a beautiful boat neck neckline, lantern sleeves that add some interest, and it is SUPER comfortable to wear.  I chose a Telio Topaz Brushed Hatchi knit from Fabric.com that I absolutely love.  The color looks a little darker on the web site, but it is lighter in person.

Let's talk about this pattern.

First, it was super easy to sew up. After I printed, taped it together and cut it out, I think it was done in two hours tops. This would be a great pattern for a beginner.  The neckline is well drafted and there was no "fiddling" to get the neckband to fit correctly. The lantern sleeves aren't too puffy.  I always worry they'll look like mutton sleeves when they're fuller on the top, but no worries here. The instructions are straightforward and easy to understand. I like that the top isn't too boxy but is not clingy either. The fit was spot on per the measurement guidelines.  I made a size 18.

Would I change anything?  Design wise, no. Fit wise, I need about two more inches in the length. This hits write at the waistline, as the photo shows. My tummy isn't my favorite body part, and while it was long enough to modestly cover it, I would prefer the top to be a little longer. Also, if you wanted to tuck the front of the shirt in, as I see styled frequently on the internet, you'd need more length. This is personal preference though and nothing that will keep me from sewing it up again. I'd like to have 1-2 more of these in my wardrobe.


Comments

Popular Posts