2021 Fall Capsule Color Inspiration

If you live in the South like me, or maybe even the southern hemisphere, your weather may not be screaming fall to you despite all the pumpkin spice craziness that started this month.  And while I'm MORE than ready for some cozy sweaters on a cool fall morning, corduroy pants, or a long cowl neck dress, my upper 80's degree weather mocks me!

For fall, I just plain need help putting together a cohesive look. You may recall my summer sewing plans were focused around the Your Everyday Style capsule and it was my first time trying it.  Well, now I'm back for fall! Jennifer at Your Everyday Style and her team put together an amazing capsule you can purchase. For the summer capsule, I already owned a lot of the pieces so I had fun filling in the gaps this summer. For fall?  Not so much. She provides a complete shopping list, links, and color palette inspiration. What I really like, as a sewist, is that I can completely customize this to my taste. 

For me, the jumping off point is the color palette. I'm just going to say right now, mine looks nothing like the one she suggests!  I'm a redhead with pink undertones in my skin and while what she chose was beautiful, it would not have worked for me. What she did state in her video was key though.  She took one thing she found that she loved, a sweater, and built the palette around that.  And I quickly decided that's what I was going to do too!  So here is my fall color paletted that is completely fabric color inspired:


She had a lovely gradient look to her palette that I liked, but I needed a little more color variation for my taste, so I went with seven colors this season instead of the six she suggests. I went for an oh-so-slightly less dark black and a creamy ivory for my neutrals. The teal blue is just calling my name this season so it had to go in as well. The greens are my nod to the gradient look.  The rust is a color from her pallet, paired with a dark brown that I like. 

I'm working through my shopping/sewing list now. Some things are obvious that I'm going to sew, like a casual dress and a short-sleeved t-shirt. Other things I've already added to my shopping cart like a new pair of wide-legged jeans and a super cute graphic tee. I'm still editing out things I won't wear and then I"m shopping my pattern stash and fabrics. One of my goals this fall is to really utilize my fabric collection as it's starting to take on a life of its own. And what good does a pile of fabric do me if I'm not going to wear it?

Just for fun, I used the gradient tool to look at my palette, and I must say, I like it!

More to come when I figure out my sewing plan!




Comments

Popular Posts