Butterick 6731 Muslin

When I saw this pattern online, I wasn't sure. The fabric chosen for all three looks is nothing that I would ever buy  The pink, yellow, and stripes were a garish combination IMO for a pattern cover. Thankfully I'm a huge House Hunters fan and I can almost always look past the bad paint to the bones of the house.  In this case the line drawings of the pattern itself. One thing that I really liked is that the ties were not connected to the side seams but from tucks on the front. I chose View A with the flutter sleeve for my muslin.

Pattern Description:  Misses' V-neck tops has front ties at waist, side zipper, and sleeve variations.

Pattern Sizing: 6 - 22

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? 
It did!  I had some moments of concern when attaching the flutter sleeve to the side with the invisible zipper.  There are NO instructions on this and just had to sort of guess.  See below on what I'll do on the next blouse.

Were the instructions easy to follow? There were a few steps left out:
  • I used an invisible zipper foot, which may be self-explanatory, but since my machine didn't come with one, should be mentioned (side note, I have no idea why I went so many years without investing in one - night and day zipper for inserting zippers!!)
  • Next time I'll baste the side seam and press it open, then open it back up to install the zipper. Once the zipper is installed, I'll baste that top portion closed again. When I was inserting the flutter sleeve, that seam was open from the zipper insertion and it was very tricky to get that seam closed while sewing in the sleeve.  There are no instructions or guides for this.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? 
  • Likes - This is a very figure-flattering pattern.  I've had four kids and my midsection is a problem. This defined my waist while skimming my stomach. Huge win for me.
  • Dislike - the facing.  The facing is horrible! I'm going to have to find a way to tack it down in my wearable muslin. Next time I'll make some bias tape and do a bias facing instead. 
  • The ties have you sew a narrow seam around the edge.  This was super tricky on my fabric. Next time I'll just cut two pairs, sew them wrong sides together, and turn them out.  This would be particularly beneficial if your fabric has a clear right and wrong side.

Fabric Used: Rayon challis from LA Finch Fabrics, now sold out, but they always have tons of new prints in this type. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made
  • At 5'9", I always have to add 2" in the torso unless I want a crop top or hitting me right at my problem area.  No thanks!
  • The additional 2 inches comes right in the middle of the ties, which enclosed in the dart like seam. I moved it down and inch, but you need to be aware that the bottom marks that the ties should line up to marks and will not if you add the length at the lengthening line.
  • As noted in the dislike section, I'll make self-facing ties next time.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is actually a muslin made up from leftover fabric.  I plan to make at least two of these as I want the 3/4 sleeve as well (which I'll have to muslin the other sleeve to see if I need to make any bicep adjustments) as well

Conclusion: With a few modifications this top is really cute!  This is part of my quarantine sewing and I need things that can be work appropriate for zoom calls with clients but are comfortable for wearing at home.  This top 100% fits that requirement.  I can dress this up with a pencil skirt when we eventually return to the office but dress it down with yoga pants jeans for a more casual look at home. Also, Houston is still uncomfortably hot in the fall.  I typically need to make "summer" clothes in fall colors to be comfortable.  I think the 3/4 sleeve option is a great way to use a light, flowy fabric to remain cool but transition to fall with a quilted vest when it does finally cool down.  

Here's my final muslin:


Comments

Linda L said…
Gorgeous top. I saw your review on PR and jumped over to your blog. I am going to have to try this pattern as it has a lot of potential for all the sleeve options!
Carol Bowen said…
I'm just finishing up mine right now--the 3/4 sleeve version. I agree with you on all points. An additional problem I am having now is the gathering on the top of the 3/4 length sleeve. AS a beginner, I'm not completely sure what I am doing wrong. I plan to add a bit more gathering towards the front because the gathers are so tightly spaced that I am getting a weird wing/shoulder pad look.

I LOVE the blouse--as you said, it is very figure flattering.

I dislike its directions. The pattern is described as easy, but the directions assume knowledge that was beyond my abilities, so I used youtube a lot for help.

I will make the pattern again, and as you mentioned, use bias tape for the neckline (which I may raise a bit as I am older) and self face the ties.

Popular Posts