Capsule Color Knit Top

I spent the 4th of July holiday on Tablerock Lake in MO. and it was fabulous. Lots of rest, relaxation, sunshine and swimming!  But when I got home after 5 days on the lake, I was itching to get a piece completed for y Summer Capsule. I got a fabric shipment from Fabric Mart while I was on vacation and in it was a lovely saffron yellow knit fabric.  I recently watched a YouTube video on the Ellie and Mac channel, and really liked the Discovery Tee that one of the moderators was wearing.  This is another pattern that I own, but had not sewn up, and that was part of my goal with this capsule, so I was eager to sew it up!


So let me just say first, I am not a fan of yellow as a general rule.  Particularly if it's a pastel yellow. But when I was using the color generator to choose a different color than the citron that was suggested, the saffron color looked perfect with the rest of the colors. And I know the earthier yellow shades are flattering with my red hair and blue eyes, so I decided to step outside my comfort zone and go for it!

As for the pattern, I really enjoyed sewing it up.  The directions were clear and this is an easy top to sew up but nicer than a plain t-shirt. The pattern suggests 4 way stretch fabric, but the yellow knit I used was more of a two-way stretch.  That was fine for the yoke piece, but the neck binding wouldn't have fit. I added 1.25 inches, but ended up shrinking it down to .75 inches to account for this. The bottom band is also a smidgen on the snug side, but it looks fine on, and I'm good with that. I have some small scraps of lace that I think will work perfect with this pattern and I plan to sew up some more of this pattern in the fall. 

You may have noticed that this top was not in my sewing plans for my supper capsule. In this case, the fabric is what drove me to add this shirt to the final capsule. I'm struggling to add the saffron color, so this was a great way to incorporate it. 

I finished another project today that has nothing to do with my summer capsule, I just wanted to make it!  So another review is coming soon.  As a reminder, here is the snapshot of my summer capsule:



I've now completed the olive knit top, navy linen pants, beyond basic white knit top, and a capsule colored knit top. I haven't decided if I want to do the white dress or the square neck top next.  More to come!!





Comments

Popular Posts