Love Notions For the Win!

 I've been sewing more than I've been blogging.  Technically a good thing right?! But rather than start with the oldest thing I've sewn, I'm starting with the newest. Which is not in my Make 9 Plan at all.  It's all good...

When Love Notions released their Metra Blazer last month, I really liked it. 

I don't wear a lot of heavy jackets because it's not necessary here in Houston. I own one pea coat that I bought on clearance several years ago and it will probably last me the rest of my life since I wear it maybe twice a year. However, my office likes to pretend we're all penguins and I frequently need cardigans and lightweight blazers even in the summer. I never like the way RTW blazers fit. They're either too tight in the bust or too big every place else. So while I was excited to see this pattern, I was also slightly hesitant. I've tried making a few jackets, and they were ok, but they weren't fantastic. So when the class was offered, I promptly signed up. The class was fun and I definitely would have struggled with the welt pockets had I not been able to re-watch the zoom video half a dozen times. This is supposed to be a muslin, but I aside from the fact that my welts are a little wonky, I'm really happy with the final result:

I can't figure out the lighting in my sewing room/office.  It doesn't matter what time of day I take photos or how many lights are on, my photos look dim. Ok, moving on!

The length on this is perfect! The pattern called out that if you chose the full bust option, the overall length was two inches longer. Since I always add 2 inches, I decided to make it without adding any length. At 5'9", this is the perfect length for me. If you're shorter, you may need to make some adjustments.

I bought a Ponte knit from Fabric Mart and while the color wasn't exactly what I was envisioning, the quality if amazing. They always have some type of sale going so when P-Z went on sale, I scooped it up! I have black and navy as well, and I plan to get white if/when it becomes available. 

I chose the shawl collar.  I'm not really a fan of a wide lapel so I like that this jacket has two options. I will note that I seem to be the only one who's not a fan of a wide lapel!  

If you look closely, you'll notice that the back hem and my sleeve hems aren't finished.  I want to use my coverstitch machine that I got for Christmas to finish them off, but I'm waiting for an order of thread from Wawak. I can't wait to get these last few steps done!  The pockets on this blazer are SO clever.  And I'm not usually a pocket person.

So while I can wear jeans and a top with this blazer, where's the fun in that? Because ultimately, I'm a dress girl at heart. So I needed to make a dress to go with this. Right?

So. I know what you're thinking.  This is not a dress. It's not.  And I hadn't given this pattern a second thought as far as making it a dress goes. But I follow Karina from Lifting Pins and Needles on YouTube and she posted this video a while ago. I recently came across it and realized this would make a great dress! I already had the Rasphody Blouse and Dress pattern and the skirt portion does match up perfectly with the Rockford Raglan. So when I ordered my fabric for the blazer, I picked up a cotton jersey that looked like it would coordinate. I really like the fabric, but going forward, i need to make sure that I order cotton spandex jersey and not just cotton jersey to make a coordinating dress. 

Again, bad lighting.  Sigh.

This is a navy blue cotton jersey and the color in the roses is a perfect match for the blazer.  I didn't modify the neckline, I was happy with the scoop neck. I did have to re-cut the neckband. My jersey doesn't have a lot of stretch and I was at least an inch short. I had this same issue recently with another top I made from a cotton jersey, but I serged that neckband on.  I was concerned this might be the same issue so I basted it on first. Wise choice, it didn't fit. So I cut a new band, adding an inch (two inches total since it's on the fold) and it fit perfect. I've made this raglan top before so I know it's my fabric that's the issue. 

This band is perfect!

I'm super pleased with how the dress and jacket combo turned out.  The dress is casual enough to wear every day but still appropriate for church or the office.  Win - win!

Last bad photo! The arms in real life are not twisted.  The front edges meet up perfectly.  This is a shawl collar, not the wide lapel.  Sigh.  I love and hate the camera on my phone all at the same time.  




Comments

Popular Posts