Kwik Sew 3616

It's done!!  And photographed.  Brownie points for me (particularly since I had one of  'those' weeks at work where nothing went as it should).

Here's a review from pattern.com I posted:

Pattern Description: close fitting knit top

Pattern Sizing: s-xl.  I made the xl

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?  For the most part, yes.  I opted to not do the button view that was shown with the short sleeves.  Due to the low neckline, I think this was a good choice for me

Were the instructions easy to follow? very simple, I barely looked at them

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?  I love that this is an easy pattern.  Sometimes you just need a top to whip out quickly, and this would be that pattern.  It could really be dressed up or down, depending on your fabric.

Dislike - the neckline.  It is REALLY plunging.  I have a high bust line and added length to the bottom of the shirt front, but did not change the bust line (other reviews suggested the empire style needed to be lowered - I did not have this problem).  I raised the v-neck 2 inches and I still need a cami to wear under it.  If I was a young Hollywood something, looking to show off, this would have been perfect.  The reality is I'm a middle aged mom, and while I'm all for not looking matronly, a neckline down to my naval is not my idea of flattering

Fabric Used: a poly/cotton knit blend from fabric.com.  I actually really love this fabric, and it's very thin, so layering won't be an issue for me

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made:  I raised the neckline 2 inches and it's still quiet the cleavage showing top.  I will re-draft the upper bodice pieces so that the neckline is more modest.  I also added 2 inches to the body of the top at the line suggested.  This is typical for me with KS patterns due to being tall.  I also felt the facings were skimpy at best.  I *knew* after I traced them I should have made them at least an inch wider, as Sandra Betzina instructs in her book "Power Sewing".  I ended up stitching in the ditch at the shoulder seams and the front seam (since I didn't chose the button option) to tack them in place, but I'm still concerned they may flip up.  I have enough fabric to redo the facings, and if they really bother me when I wear them, I will.  I thought about leaving them off, but I was really concerned the  neckline wouldn't lay nicely.  Because my fabric is thin, I'm fairly certain it would have rippled.  I also like a wider hem on the bottom, so I added and extra half inch.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? YES!!  The few minor changes I made were just that, minor.  I felt the fit was excellent - no sausage casing effects which I am leery of whenever I see 'close fitting' in a fit description.  I'd like to make one in a nice white silk jersey for work.  I also have a border print jersey that I think would be lovely.

Conclusion:   I really like this top, and definitely plan to add a few more in my wardrobe.  I look forward to maybe sewing the sleeved version when the weather cools back down.

Comments

Amber said…
Looks like it came out great! I'm totally digging the color.

Popular Posts