Simplicity 4814



Yes, it's that time of year. When I start whipping out clothes for the coming winter months. This is a very challenging time for me because it's 100+ outside. The thought of putting on anything made of polar fleece is more than a little horrifying! And yet I sit here with a stack of projects to do so I won't be scrambling when winter (usually around the last week of October or the first week of November) temperatures set in.

This is Simplicity 4818. I bought this pattern...hmm, probably at least 4 years ago. It's from the Lizzie McGuire pattern collection. When I bought it, she wouldn't even fit in the smallest size, which is a 7. I made this in an 8, based on previous reviews on http://www.paternreview.com/

One of the things noted was that this pattern is close fitting. My daughter is a skinny mini. Almost 11 and barely wearing a size 8 these days. I was really hoping for something a little more form fitting, but I'm sure by the time we put this on over some winter clothes, it won't be as baggy (as you can see from the top photo). The thing about living in the desert is that you never really know how cold it's going to get, so layering is important. I also read the arm length seemed too long, and I shortened it by 2 inches. This seemed to work great for my daughter. I stitched the side seems in place on the cuff's so they wouldn't come undone. I don't remember if that was recommended in the pattern or not.

A funny story about this fleece. I bought it at Joann's when my daughter was in 1st grade. I made one of those cute little ottobre fleece capes for her. She fell in love with this print and colors the moment she saw it. So the following year, I made a vest from this fleece. And then it was a hat beanie and glove. Then it was a scar and a different beanie. Now this jacket. I literally had shreds of fabric left when I finally got it all cut out. It took quite some creative cutting to get the entire jacket cut out! She's terribly disappointed that she won't get yet another item from this fleece next year, but I must admit, I am very done sewing this particular fleece!

This outfit will coordinate with a Hannah Montana pattern that I'm getting ready to cut next!
Posted by Picasa

Comments

Popular Posts