Ottobre Cross Over Shirt



View 3 - I read recently on patternreview.com that Ottobre 1/2004 was their favorite issue. I must admit, I wasn't too sure when I first got it. But now that I've had it for awhile, and I see how much I've made from it, I must say, I agree.

This is design 16, cut in a size 122 cm. I made no changes to the sizing on this one. As is usual for my daughter, I did not add seam allowances either. The changes I did make would include:

  • I made this before, and found the double layer for the crossover to be too bulky. This time, I traced the top piece, and sewed it into place. It probably only goes down about an inch past the armpit.
  • I used fold over elastic to bind the top - you can't tell in this photo, but I set my iron too hot, and it sort of melted the scalloped edge on this FOE. I didn't think about it being synthetic. It really isn't terribly noticeable unless you're looking for it, but I was afraid I would really mess up the fabric if I tried to take it off. And for some reason, it's photographing a bit on the wavy side, but it isn't in person.
  • I lettuce edge the bottom and the sleeves - this made this sleeves a tad long for her, but she'll grow into them. I don't own a serger, so I used a zig zag stitch, and I thought it looked good. More importantly, my fashion savvy daughter gave it a thumbs up, so it stays.

I meant these to go with the pants listed below. Before I dyed the fabric (these are both PRR's from a previous season, but only the shirt is dyed) they seemed to look good together. I'm thinking of getting some white velour, and making another shirt, because I am not happy with how they look together. She's got plain jeans that this will match just fine.

Comments

Popular Posts